Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Did I have an ectopic pregnancy because of stress?

My husband and I held off from trying for a baby after we were married because  we had just done the noble thing for our family and decided to invest in our future well being. We got private health insurance. WOO HOO  Thats not true really, the main incentive for getting private health insurance is because we wanted to have a baby, but when I had spoken to all the new mums at our tiny mothers group on the island they all warned me against the maternity ward at the public hospital. DONT DO IT was the main consensus so I planned not to. AH...the luxury of planning!
We hadnt exactly planned our son, he was a lovely...surprise!
It was the summer of 2007, I was studying at university, living on 2 minute noodles and poached eggs and working at a local mens day spa as a remedial massage therapist. I was a heavy smoker and a sociable drinker when I could afford it that is.I had just split with my then boyfriend, I was hoping to feel free and ready to conquer the world, but instead I had constant stomach upset, bad bad bad crying bouts that lasted for hours, major mood swings (hence the breaking up in the first place) and chronic period pain with no period. Hmmm....had to fork out food money, $9.99 on a pregnancy stick that I knew was a waste when.....ah.....okay 2 red lines. That means Im not pregnant right?     right?? 
Then theres the whole frantic search for the box on the floor and the cup full of my own piss falls off the rim of the toilet onto my pants and the floor and a roommate bangs on the door wanting to use the toilet blahdy blahdy blahhhhh......freakin nightmare!

I was lucky I had a boyfriend who could understand that the pregnancy had made me go a little..I dont know...NUTS!

Three months after he was born, I had a copper IUD put in which was great to start with. No chemical contraception whilst breast feeding, and not having to stress about pregnancy! Bliss! 3 days after the wedding, I had my IUD yanked out, I say yanked because the doctor had to just about put her feet in stirrups and use her whole body weight to get this thing out. It hurt...like Alleluia I can see the white light a comin..hurt. My sister had warned me that it feels like a swift kick to the guts but it goes in a few seconds. Well...thanks for the heads up sis!  I actually screamed the "f" word...twice, I shook like a banshee and squeezed the nurses hand like I was popping out triplets in unison. Afterwards I had to do the walk of shame, back out to the reception desk and through the waiting room which was full of curious staring eyes. Im sure they were looking to see if I had just had a limb torn off or something. I gave the sweet lady behind the counter money and slowly hobbled out to the car where my husband and son greeted me in the carpark. Needless to say I wasnt feeling like the perky sexy newly wedded bride that I thought I would but oh well...now we could make babies....no wait hang on....private health doesnt cover obstetrics for 12 months!!!....so we had to wait 3 months before we could try. Ouch.....

So...newly married and back to using condoms!? YAY!! So unfair...so in three months I think we had sex twice!!
Then the date came up and it was all systems go....except as always..things popped up.  Everywhere, like a fungus. A mushroom farm of problems. Nothing major just little crops of them popping up on everything like mushrooms do.

My husband offered me a job, for 3 weeks with decent pay but there was a catch. I had to do 2 weeks training with the accountant and this guy is like a tall Kim Jong-il. Even looks like him a bit too. Two words sum him up....Nut Job!

 During this 5 weeks needed a baby sitter for my son, and it was also his 4th birthday so we invited both of his grandmothers up to stay.The overlap of them staying was his birthday party, so both mothers were in the house for 3 nights.
What was I thinking?

Super stressful environment, crazy stressful well...for an Australian anyway. This is when I fell pregnant, which has made me question if conceiving whilst stressed out results in more ectopic pregnancies.
Well....according to a study done in the United States at a hospital they observed pregnant resident doctors who worked in excess of 40 hours a week and compared them to their colleagues pregnant wives and there was no evidence that being stressed leads to any more complications in pregnancy. Amazing....and here I was blaming the stress.

I made the best cake for my son though, because all of our groceries travel such a long distance the supermarkets substitute items if what you order is out of stock. I ordered vanilla icing and received "royal icing" which I had never used before.What a rigmarole! But I think it looked great!!!



Think pink

Janey





No comments:

Post a Comment